01 Program objectives
This diploma of professional studies in computing support will develop the skills necessary to work in any company in need of technical support at a technology level. Students will acquire the skills to assemble or disassemble a computer, troubleshoot, and repair physical computer problems, troubleshoot and repair logical software, install and manage computer networks, and solve network problems.
02 Skills required
- Be patient
- Be courteous
- Be a good communicator
03 CAREER PROSPECTS
Knowledge of analysis and problem solving is sought. Knowledge of major operating systems, telecommunication protocols, computer security, LAN and WAN management, microcomputers and office software is required. At the end of your training, you will be able to find various career opportunities as:
- IT Support Specialist
- Help Desk Analyst and IT Troubleshooting
04 Future Employers
- IT support firms and companies
- Government Agencies and Institutions
- Educational institutions
- Enterprise IT Support Departments
- Any company with a computer system
A person who has training deemed sufficient by the college and who meets one of the following conditions is eligible for a program of study leading to a diploma of vocational studies:
The person holds a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent (attestation of equivalence of level of education) or a graduate diploma, such as a college diploma or a bachelor’s degree.
The person is at least 16 years of age on September 30 of the school year in which he begins his training and has obtained Secondary 4 units in language of instruction, second language and mathematics in programs of study established by the Minister or has completed apprenticeships recognized as equivalent.
The person is at least 18 years of age at the time of starting his training and has the functional prerequisites, i.e., the successful completion of the general development test as well as the specific prerequisites or has completed apprenticeships recognized as equivalent.
The person has obtained Secondary 3 units in language of instruction, second language and mathematics in programs of study established by the Minister and will continue his general training in conjunction with his vocational training to obtain the Secondary 4 units that he lacks in language of instruction, second language and mathematics in programs of study established by the Minister.
Determine their suitability for the occupation and the raining process 30h Analyse the architecture and operation of computer systems 75h Capitalizing on the possibilities of aging technology operating systems 120h Apply a problem-solving method 45h Search for information 30h Develop a utility program 120h Interact in a variety of professional situations 60h Exploiting the possibilities of application software 120h State-of-the-art operating systems 90h Create and operate a database 90h Install the physical and logical elements of a computer station 90h Managing your time 30h Communicate in French 75h Manage access to network resources 120h Set up the shareable resources of a network 105h Exploiting the possibilities means of telecommunications 90h Ensure your career path 45h Restore the operation of a computer station 90h Optimize the performance of a computer station 60h Provide customer support from a call center 75h Ensuring the proper functioning of computer workstations in the workplace 120h Providing customer service in the workplace 120h Total 1800h
Typical responsibilities include:
- Provide user support to resolve computer hardware, software, and peripheral operating issues
- Troubleshoot connection issues
- Help trace and recover various data and information, such as passwords and data files
- Breakdown system and service ticket management
- Route service/repair tickets to the appropriate specialist and as needed
- Provide technical support online, by email or phone
- Install and configure workstations
- Manage and repair installation and configuration problems of various software
- Identify and resolve various networking and remote access issues
- Contribute to the company’s knowledge base and solutions
- Assist in training new IT support technicians
ORGANIZATION OF WORK
- Possibility of working remote
- Flexible hours
- Possibility to work overtime in the evenings and on weekends